Posts Tagged ‘CO poisoning’



Yesterday we fitted this  Boru Chroi Bheag inset stove complete with 904 grade flexi liner and vermiculite insulation in Virginia Co. Cavan


My customer in Naas had the intelligence to realise that the so called professional fitter who installed his stove and flexi liner, wasnt all he was made out to be. When we inspected we found that the flexi flue was inserted upside down, a proper connection to stove outlet didnt exist. In actual fact he used the adaptor at the terminal instead of a chimney cap, packed round it with rock wool and that was it. You can see from the image that the quality of flexi was probably at the very bottom end. The near end of the flexi was left just sitting on the stove. 

When called to clean the chimney and stove at my clients house in Mullingar, i once again came across my pet hate, rear flue exits, dangerously installed. My client took my advice to have it installed with flue off the top. This was a narrow chimney  breast, housing 2 flueways, one servicing the stove and the other, servicing the oil burner. When we opened up blockwork to link the rigid flue to the flexi flue we discovered both flueways side by side, not back to back, with both flues inside a large cavity. The gases, smoke, toxins, poisons, whatever you like to describe them as, all came into this cavity and could exit via whichever clay liner flueway it liked, or worse still, could exit into the other room. Built 38 years ago one wonders what lurking behind blocks and plaster.

These two stoves, previously  installed by some istallation company , a few years back, yielded nothing 

only problems and safety issues for the home owners. My team removed both stoves, made new safe and secure connections to 904 grade flexi flues, insulated chimneys and introduced a register plate in the free standing stove.

Totally confident that this family will not know themselves this coming winter.

If you feel you have concerns or issues with your stove installation,  dont hesitate in having it investigated. It can be a major health issue. 

Contact Nick 0879501001